While it is rare to find a campaign that actively encourages eating fats, this month Seafish are promoting the health benefits of omega-3 fats described as the super fish oil.
Experts have long since heralded omega-3 fats as the ultimate brain food and Seafish, a UK public body which supports a sustainable fishing industry, has teamed up with ambassadors including TV Chef John Torode to encourage eating fish for healthy bones, skin, teeth and hair.
Research conducted by Seafish in 2015 found that 73% of UK adults did not know how much fish they should eat in a week to maintain good health. If like me you fall into this group the recommended amount is two portions per week, including one portion of oily fish.
So in the spirt of becoming healthier – and from a vanity perspective who doesn’t want nice skin, hair and teeth – I am going to make a conscious effort to raise my omega-3 levels and eat more fish.
This is my take on pan-fried cod with Mediterranean vegetables.
- 2 cod fillets, skin removed
- 1 bulb of fennel
- ½ onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 6-8 baby potatoes
- ½ freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Handful of basil chopped
- Rapeseed oil
- Salt and pepper
Tip: For a more intense flavour I used basil infused rapeseed oil from Broighter Gold.
- Carefully remove the skin from the cod and season well with salt and pepper.
- Finely chop the vegetables into strips and the potatoes into rounds.
- Add at least 2 tablespoons of the rapeseed oil to a large roasting tray and place in the oven for about 3 minutes to heat. Remove the tray and add the potatoes.
- Allow the potatoes to roast for five minutes and then add the fennel, onion and peppers. Toss the vegetables in the oil and season with salt and pepper and roast for a further 20 to 25 minutes.
- In a pan melt a good sized piece of butter, enough to coat the pan. For a healthier option use fry lite spray.
- When the butter has melted set the fish into the pan and cook until it begins to crisp up on one side. Cook the fish on one side for roughly 6-8 minutes, the turn over and finish on the other side for 4-6 minutes.
- Take the roasting dish out of the oven and coat the vegetables with the lemon juice and add the chopped basil.
- Arrange the vegetables on a plate with the fish placed on top and serve.