I am full of good intentions when it comes to making New Year resolutions, quit smoking, exercise more and eat healthily, although starting on the first day of January remains a stumbling block.
On the morning after the night before there are only two possible outcomes: one there will be sickness and the inability to stomach a mere sip of water or two I am really hungry and want bacon.
If like me you might awaken on day one of the ‘deep New Year cleanse’ craving a fry up instead of that lovely 0% fat yogurt in the fridge, my take on bacon, egg and toast provides an amicable solution.
The bacon is grilled, eggs are poached and the avocado acts as a butter for the toast. It tastes delightful and is a guilt free brunch that will fill you up nicely… well until you order that pizza later for dinner.
- 4 slices of bread (sourdough is my top pick)
- 1 avocado
- 8 slices of streaky bacon
- 2-4 eggs
- 1 tsp of ground sea salt
- Fresh black pepper
- Grill the bacon until it is crispy and bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil.
- Cut the avocado in half and place the flesh into a bowl, add the salt and mash together. Taste and add more salt if desired
- Using a fork make a swirl in the centre of the water and drop in the egg. I always crack the egg on to a saucer to keep the yolk intact and to pick out any little weird things, I am really fussy.
- Poach the eggs for 2-3 minutes, until the white has hardened, but the yolk is still soft.
- Spread the avocado mix on to the toast, layer on the crispy bacon, place the poached egg on top and finish with a sprinkle of black pepper.